Sunday, December 16, 2012

My Christmas Wish List

Being a teacher, it seems selfish to think of the holidays in a happy way in light of what happened in Connecticut this past week. My heart goes out to the families of those who will not be celebrating this year. Instead of buying presents, these families will be burying loved ones that were taken from them much too soon. My heart breaks for them. 

This year, I wish that the world would open their hearts to love and friendship. Just today, I was in a store shopping and a woman nearly ran me over with her cart. I apologized for being in her way, even though technically I wasn't. Instead of a smile or a nod, she gave me a dirty look. Tis not the season to be jolly?

I get that we have list upon list of things to do this time of year, but is it too much to ask to spread a little kindness? Patience, tolerance, and a friendly smile go a long way and you never know whose day you might brighten. So this Christmas, smile at a stranger and make eye contact. Yield the right of way to the next person. Thank the cashier and wish them a Merry Christmas. Be kind. Be thoughtful. And most of all, think of others.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment