Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving and more...

Thanksgiving is this week.  It's probably my most favorite holiday of the year.  Not only is it an excuse to eat whatever you want, however much you can hold until the button on your pants feels like a dagger, it's the kick-off to the Christmas season. 

Now I know what you're thinking...Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for everything you have.  And that's completely true, I totally am.  But let's talk about another event that I'm thankful for, that excites me almost as much as all you can eat turkey...Black Friday shopping!

In our family, Black Friday shopping is a tradition. I can remember being a kid, waking up at 5 a.m. and chasing the freebies.  Back then, Black Friday shopping was all about what the stores were giving away.  We'd get breakfast at the Pic-N-Save for 99 cents and then hit up the stores that were giving away prizes and Christmas cheer. I've continued the tradition into my adult life and can't remember ever skipping a year.  It starts on Thanksgiving morning. We watch the parade and plan our route of attack by looking through the ads from the paper.

Now I have to say that the past couple of years have been a little disappointing.  Stores are opening the night before.  Where's the fun in that?  The whole point of Black Friday shopping is that it happens on Friday. The fun is getting up in the middle of the night and standing in immense lines that wrap around sides of the buildings you didn't even know existed until 4 a.m. with hot chocolate in hand.

But I won't let that stop me. Tradition is tradition. I'll still be out there, seeking out the perfect gifts for my special someones, no matter what time of day (or night) it starts.  So Happy Thanksgiving everyone and happy shopping! Hope to see you out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment